Monday, May 31, 2010

Departure

I was thinking a lot today about the moment my Dad passed away. My "second family" as I call them, were also present.....Ann, Emory, & Joey Papuga. I was thinking about how hard it must have been to be there when he passed. Besides being extremely emotional, seeing a person die is something that you will never forget. At the funeral home, Ann was telling me how it really shook her, and she told her sister, who I also call Aunt Rose, about it. Aunt Rose responded, "wasn't it just so beautiful?" I really have been thinking about that, and it truly was. To see him suffering, struggling to breathe, not Dad at all....then to be surrounded by his 3 daughters and wife and make the trip to heaven, was something I was so happy I was able to see. Even when his body was carried away, I watched. I thought it would be hard, but I knew it wasn't Dad anymore....that was just the body he used while he was here on this earth. Dad was already smiling and happy to be in the presence of his family, being Dad again. He never wanted to be a burden to us and escaping his earthly body once again gave him the freedom he once had.

Thinking about all of this gave me some thoughts to write. I'll never say I've had any formal writing training other than a couple English classes, but it just felt like it said what I've been thinking about Dad leaving this world and going to the next.

Departure

I watched you depart from this world today,
as I held onto your hand.
You took your last breath to head up above,
to stand before Jesus, the Savior of man.

I cannot begin to describe how I’ll miss
your everyday presence in my life.
Protector, father, advisor of all,
where family came first, daughters, grandchildren and wife.

The Lord above made a special place
for you, called you home with the rain.
Our hearts miss you dearly but our heads know,
you are smiling in heaven without any pain.

So dear Dad, today I tell you good-bye,
until one day I will hold you again.
When we saw you at peace we sent you home,
forever devoted husband, father, brother and friend.

4 comments:

  1. Your words are so beautiful... I love you...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love you too! Thank you for all of your support...

    ReplyDelete
  3. You have a wonderful gift little sister...thank you for keeping dad forever in our hearts and in our minds..Love you lots..
    Patty

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lauren,
    I think about you, your Mom, Patty and Darlene as you continue to adjust to your Daddy's trip home to Our Lord. I know that Rose was absolutely right in her comment to me after I shared our profound experience. Yes, it was a beautiful event to witness....one that we all pray will be as peaceful when our time comes. Another question Rose asked me in our conversation that day, "Was he surrounded by people who loved him?" I almost laughed....because, as you know, your entire wonderful, loving family was there. Yes, yes I can say that it was, Just so beautiful.....
    My love to you and your family...God Bless
    Ann

    ReplyDelete